Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship

The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship retold by Arthur Ransome, pictures by Uri Shulevitz
1969 Caldecott Medal

I'm a storyteller and one of the highest compliments I can give a story is "I want to tell this one." This is a story I've always wanted to tell a version of, and this is a good retelling. It's a traditional tale and you'll find it in the non-fiction part of the library in the 398's along with lots of other wonderful folk tales.

Uri Shulevitz has won Caldecott Honor's  quite a few times. . . four times to be exact. (Snow, The Treasure, How I Learned Geography, plus this one).  He uses line drawings with water color washes that have a nice balance of simplicity and fine detail.

In this story you have The Fool of the World as the hero (always a good start!), a flying ship (not bad either), and a whole passel of comrades for the journey with names like Swift Goer--- a fellow who goes about with one leg tied up beside his head because if he uses both legs he'll just plain go too fast! Or The Listener: "I can hear him snoring. And there is a fly buzzing with it's wings, perched on th windmill close above his head." (all this 100's of miles away of course).

In a stunning display of magical skills and team work of course the day is saved!

My 7 year old AND my 10 year old both enjoyed the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment