Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo

I actually thought this was a Newbery honor book when I picked it up, but I realize now the silver medal on the book cover was actually for the National Book Award Finalist distinction. . . so now I have yet another book list to peruse! I read this one in one gulp during the hours of 1 a.m. -3 a.m. one night when I couldn't sleep! (It's a very manageable  short read.)

It doesn't rank with Because of Winn Dixie (also by Kate DiCamillo) but I still enjoyed the read. Like Winn Dixie it takes place in Florida, a place the author knows well because she grew up in a small town in Florida. It involves a boy named Rob and a girl named Sistine (like the chapel). Rob's mom has died and he hasn't cried even one tear since his dad stopped him from crying at the funeral 6 months earlier. Rob and his dad live in a Hotel where his dad also works as a handy man. Rob is also an artist. Sistine is an odd "new girl" at school who "odd new kid" Rob befriends. Rob has discovered a tiger in a cage in the woods behind the hotel. He's also been sent home from school on the pretext that he has a rash on his legs that some parents are afraid might be contagious. With assorted odd characters and unusual circumstances, a story unfolds about friendship and the healing power of grief.  I don't want to give away too many of the details!


No comments:

Post a Comment