Saturday, February 4, 2012

Hondo and Fabian

Hondo and Fabian written and illustrated by Peter McCarty
2003 Caldecott Honor

Well, I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed in this one. It's a simple story about a dog (Hondo) and a cat (Fabian) and their day. The illustrations are soft colored pencil drawings, and they are pleasing, but not earth shatteringly wonderful or anything. I did appreciate the gentle humor in both the text and the illustrations; both my daughter and I liked the page with the cat having fun unrolling the toilet paper. Maybe if I had a younger person to read this to, it would have gotten better reviews. My youngest is 7 and she didn't object to the story, but didn't love it either. I think a pre-schooler might like it better, especially a pre-schooler with a dog and a cat in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment