Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
Chirstopher Award 2007 for children ages 8-10

I loved Because of Winn Dixie and so I've been interested to read any other books by Kate DiCamillo and nearly everything she's written has won an award or honor of some kind. But so far, nothing has topped Winn Dixie for me.

There were cool things about this story. But it didn't pull me in and swallow me up as I like a book to do. It's a story about a toy rabbit made of china and it's adventures. And through it's adventures, from the bottom of the sea, to the depths of a garbage dump, on the road with a hobo, and so on, it's journey of love and loss and gathering the courage to love again.

It's got a little essence of Velveteen Rabbit. Maybe because his adventures with each person is somewhat distinct it is more a series of stories than one big story, and the big frame that kept it a novel rather than being a series of stories, just didn't quite work for me.

I'm interested to know what others think since I think it's a well loved book! It just didn't really grab ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment