Thursday, January 26, 2012

Our Gracie Aunt

Our Gracie Aunt by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Jon J Muth
no awards that I know about, but the Author has received LOTS of awards for other books, including the Caldecott, Coretta Scott King and Newbery.

I'm writing about this book because my daughter Makayla LOVES this book and has had me read it over and over again. It's a picture book about two kids who's mom has left them alone for days and a social worker comes and takes them with their Aunt. It's told from the point of view of the younger child, the little brother.

My kids are adopted and I think it gave Makayla a place to wonder about her own story. I appreciate picture book stories about "real life" situations that kids find themselves in, and books that help my kids sort out various pieces of their own life story. Even though my children were both adopted as infants it still provided a good open welcome for lots of questions and discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment