Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Wednesday Surprise

The Wednesday Surprise by Eve Bunting
no awards that I'm aware of

I loved this book. Eve Bunting is a pretty amazing author. She has written GOBS of books (I'm quite sure it's more than 100) and I have enjoyed several of her picture books. She takes on challenging topics like the Vietnam Memorial (The Wall) or anti Arab prejudice (One Green Apple) or surviving the German concentration camps (One Candle) or a riot  in the inner city (Smoky Night).

She has other books that are easy readers or chapter books or retelling of Folk Tales, but it's these sensitive picture book stories about children in relation to real live situations that I'm most familiar with and stay with me. She's won a bunch of honors and awards, but one of them that she herself holds dearest was a "Heal the World" award given to her by an elementary school.

The Wednesday Surprise falls in the category of a well told picture book story about a sensitive subject. I don't want to spoil the surprise! But it's a wonderful story and I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment