Monday, January 23, 2012

The Patchwork Path; a Quilt Map to Freedom

The Patchwork Path; A Quilt Map to Freedom by Bettye Stroud, illustraed by Erin Susanne Bennett
no awards that I know about

I liked this book. I thought, surely it is on one of these award lists. But I didn't find it anywhere, but I recommend it!

It tells the story of a girl named Hannah, learning to quilt "The year I turned ten, Mama taught me to make a special quilt. . . . But Mama wanted me to learn more than just how to sew. While we stiched, she told me a secret. 'Each pattern holds a special meaning,' Mama whispered. 'Hannah, this quilt will show you everything you need to know to run to freedom.'"

And Hannah eventually uses this quilt as a map to freedom. . . . leaving in a drenching rain, hiding under the floor of a church, staying with Quakers, and finally making it to Canada.
Makes me want to sew a quilt.

I liked the art work in this book too. The quilt square patterns are shown and the illustration style is bold and colorful like a quilt.

Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment