Wednesday, November 30, 2011

An Apple for Harriet Tubman

An Apple for Harriet Tubman bu Glennette Tilley Turner, illustrated by Susan Keeter
no award that I know of, though I don't see why not!

I love this book. It's based on stories told to the author by Harriet Tubman's great niece Alice Brickler, who learned it from Harriet herself. I like it when stories about big people and big events have specific little details that pull us in.

Harriet Tubman loved apples. Who knew?
This story carries her from picking apples while being forbidden to eat any, and getting whipped for taking a bite of one.  . . . to owning her own land in NY and planting a row of apple trees that she ate her fill of shared with her neighbors.

Both of my children (age 10 and 7) enjoyed the book also.

No comments:

Post a Comment