Saturday, November 5, 2011

How I Learned Geography

How I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
2009 Caldecott Honor Book

This story is based on the author/illustrators memories of being a boy during World War II. They had to flee Poland empty handed. As refugees in a strange place, they were often hungry.

One day the boys father going to market to get bread and coming home instead with a map of the world. "I had enough money to buy only a tiny piece of bread, and we would still be hungry" he explained apologetically. Both Mother and Boy were bitterly angry.

But the next day, the Father hangs up the map. It is bright and colorful and takes up a whole wall. The boy spends many hours gazing at the map, making magical incantations out of the names of the cities and countries, and traveling to all the parts of the world in his mind.

There is also an authors note with a photo of the author at this age and a picture he drew at age 10 of Africa. I read it to both of my children (ages 6 and 10) and they both enjoyed it. I like a book that makes kids think and inspires conversations about big topics. I like a book that combines fancy with substance. This book definitely succeeds; recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment