Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Friend Rabbit

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann
2003 Caldecott Medal

A very likable book about a well meaning rabbit, told by his friend mouse. "My friend Rabbit means well. But whatever he does, where ever he goes, trouble follows." The story is told in both text and pictures. I like that in a picture book, when the pictures don't just "illustrate" the story, but carry the story line all by themselves in part. I looked up Eric Rohmann's website and he said this: "This book also began with many words and as I made the images I saw that the silliness was best left to the pictures." Glad he figured that out! 


His website is a fun visit: Eric Rohmann - Author & Illustrator - My Friend Rabbit

I like the pictures in the book a lot. They are hand colored relief prints and I'm partial to that bold "wood block print" look.

In the end you just like the two characters a lot, and their friendship. Rabbit is plucky, "Not to worry, Mouse. I've got an idea!" Mouse is loyal. "But Rabbit means well. And he is my friend."





No comments:

Post a Comment