Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
2004 Caldecott  Honor

Also:
Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy


I have to admit, I think Mo Willems is brilliant. He has a way of getting in the brains of young people like few others. My daughter age 7 LOVES his books, particularly the Knuffle Bunny series and the Pigeon series, both of which seem to be based on his "hands on" experiences with his own daughter.

He has a couple of websites worth checking out. He has one: Mo Willems
and the Pigeon (and other characters) have their own! : Pigeon Presents! Starring Mo Willems' Pigeon!

Anyhow, back to the book report. The pigeon books are funny. Based on a one sided conversation full of all the things kids say. "Hey, can I drive the bus?" "Please?" "I'll be careful."

In a cartoony style with "talk bubbles".

At my house our favorite hands down, is Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late.  I have read that one to my 7 year old daughter at least once or twice a day since it arrived from the library. And I'm afraid there are reasons she finds it funny (but I won't go into the bedtime issues at our house at this time!)

I've just about memorized it, in fact if I'm not getting these quotes exactly right it's because the book is downstairs beside the bed, and I"m quoting from memory, but I think you'll get the idea!

 "But I'm not tired! In fact, I'm in the mood for a hot dog party! What do you say? . . . NO?! . . . humpf."

"How about five more minutes? . . . What's FIVE MINUTES IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS?"

"YAWN . . . That was NOT a yawn! I was stretching!"

"It's the middle of the day in China!"

etc.

Hilarious. I recommend Mo Willems in general and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late in particular!

No comments:

Post a Comment