Thursday, October 13, 2011

Caddie Woodlawn; The Cat That Went to Heaven

Originally posted June 29, 2003


Here's a report on two of the earlier Newbery Medals. . . The Cat That Went To Heaven by Elizabeth Jane Coatsworth (1931) and Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink (1936).

Of these two books I liked Caddie Woodlawn A LOT, and would recommend it enthusiastically. I liked many things about The Cat That Went To Heaven as well, but couldn't recommend it quite as strongly.

Caddie Woodlawn is a true story about a pioneer girl growing up in Wisconsin at the time of the Civil War. Caddie Woodlawn was the authors grandmother and Carol Ryrie Brink grew up hearing her grandmother tell these stories and then set them down into a book. The book is a series of episodes that chapter by chapter nearly stand on their own. There's not one big climax but a lot of little adventures. I think it would make a great read aloud book and it would definitely be fine and good for the whole age range, including the younger ones.

Caddie is a totally likable tom boy character who is allowed to run wild with her two brothers because when a younger sister died soon after they'd arrived in Wisconsin and Caddie herself was weak, her father convinced her mother to agree to an experiment: Caddie would run wild with the boys and they would see if this would improve her health. It did.

Her adventures with her two brothers are rollicking good fun.

Rollar Skates had a similar "no big climax" style, but Caddie Woodlawn for me was a much more engaging read. And there was a subtle coming of age theme that made for some good closure in the end. I liked this book for it's "girl power" aspect! The only thing I found myself a little uneasy with was a some of the assumptions and attitudes re: Indians. Even though Caddies family was certainly progressive in their thinking for that day, and Caddie herself stuck her neck out on the Indian's behalf at least once, there are still moments of objectification or condescension to watch out for. (And other Pioneer/Indian encounters portrayed that are quite fine.)

Considering the book was published in 1935, that this is the only thing I found awkward I think is a good testimony for it's greatness! I know Lucinda enjoyed this one as well and my 14 year old sister in law, Sara loved it and has read it by now several times.

*****

I was excited when I realized that The Cat That Went To Heaven was set in Japan and was a story about Buddhism. (My mom is Japanese and Buddhist.) The story is about a poor artist who is commissioned by the temple to paint a picture of the Buddha's death. The book uses this frame story to tell many many traditional stories of the Buddha's life and of his previous lifetimes often as animals. As a storyteller, I've told or considered telling many of these same stories myself, so many of the Buddhist stories were ones I know or have studied. My main question about this book is how these stories come across to people who know NOTHING about Buddhism. I felt the retellings to be somewhat incomplete or sketchy and wasn't sure how easy it would be to follow if you didn't already know the stories. I liked the frame story a lot, following the artist in his spiritual preparations for this painting was very beautiful.

There are several early Newbery Medal winners that take place in Asia but are by Western authors. I'm curious about this, I think some of these authors were just interested in the cultures, others had grown up in Asia as children of missionaries. . . I personally am encouraged by the voices of Asian American authors telling stories of Asia and Asian American experience coming into print more recently.

I will say this about the earlier Newbery Medal winners I've read so far. . . they are vastly more tame in terms of gritty themes, violence, etc. So, those of you with the 8 and 9 year old and under kids, I think you might find some good read aloud choices among the 1950's and earlier books on this list!

I did enjoy The Cat That Went To Heaven, especially the frame story and would really love to hear from anyone else who reads it, especially if you aren't particularly familiar with the story of the Buddha, to see how it came across to you!

Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment