Saturday, October 8, 2011

Holes the book, Holes the movie

Originally posted: June 29, 2003

Dear Newbery Buddies,

I haven't written any book reports in over a month, but I've been reading all the while. . . so here is the first installment to catch up. . . re: Holes by Louis Sachar (newbery medal for 1999).

I read Holes and loved it. A few weeks later Holmes wanted to go to the movie. . . I was reluctant at first (I am total wimp about movies and thought it might be too violent for me!) but then decided to go for more "Newbery research" and to have a date with Holmes.

The book is GREAT. The movie is not great. It often happens that way, eh? The movie wasn't horrible, but not as good as the book by any means.

The book is zany, weird and wonderful. The story takes place at Camp Greenlake, a facility for boys in trouble with the law. It's primary theraputic principle is taking a these boys out in the desert of TX and make each one dig a hole measuring 5 ft in diameter and 5 ft deep everyday, this, apparently will turn a bad boy into a good boy. Stanley Yelnats gets sent there for doing something that he didn't actually do.

The book weaves together various strands. . . a family curse set into motion by Stanley's "no good rotten pig stealing great grandfather". . . a legend about Kissing Kate Barlow, an outlaw . . . the history of Green Lake, which used to be a lake and a town but hasn't been a lake (or a town) in a very long time but is instead the dry desert the boys are digging holes in. . . and Stanley's own experiences and the friends he makes through doing his time at Camp Greenlake.

The staff at Camp Greenlake are practically evil, but in entertaining ways! Just one quick example. . . the Warden makes her own fingernail polish out of rattlesnake venom! Stanley makes one good friend, Zero, and the story (which I won't give away) centers around their intertwining stories.

This story is whacky and fun. I wouldn't recommend it for the youngest readers, but 9 or 10 and up will love it.

The movie TOTALLY didn't do justice to the end of the story which is Stanley and Zero's most danger filled and transformative adventure. It was so watered down it really didn't bring the story to any kind of satisfying conclusion. In the book this was the most difficult possible undertaking where death was more likely than any other outcome, in the movie it was more like a somewhat difficult day hike. The movie also suffered from some rather sappy musical interludes. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but I wouldn't send anyone to see it. BUT I am extremely picky about movies. . . so I'm interested in other opinions.

I actually read the book AGAIN after seeing the movie. I wanted to see the comparison. The movie held up even less well after the second reading and I was able to pin point better why it didn't entirely work for me.

The best part of the movie for me was the character Zero. And the depiction of the early history of Green Lake and Kissing Kate the outlaw. Stanley's transformation didn't really come across in my opinion.

I've also read 7 other books since I last "reported in". So, more about those soon. What are you reading?!

Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment