Monday, October 10, 2011

The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark

The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark
by Carmen Agra Deedy
2001 Christopher Award, Books for Young People, ages 10-12

I was drawn to this book at the library because Carmen Deedy is a storyteller and I performed with her at a festival long long ago, and thought she was GREAT.

This is a picture book story that takes place during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. It's a beautiful story of loving inspired leadership, unity and resistance. I don't want to give away the details! I recommend the book.

Even though the Christopher Award suggests ages 10-12, I think a younger child could enjoy this book if they are interested in history (my son Jabu was TOTALLY interested in biographies and historical stories from a young age) and have a parent to give back ground and talk about the issues.

In the authors note at the close of the book we learn that this story has not been confirmed in actual fact, but it still rings true to historic events in Denmark during that time, and definitely rings true to what we hope for in our common humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment