Saturday, October 8, 2011

Yummy the Last Days of a Southside Shorty

Yummy the Last Days of a Southside Shorty
by G. Neri, illustrated by Randy DuBurke
Coretta Scott King 2011 Honor book

This is a comic book style telling of a true story of a 1994 gang violence incident in Chicago's Southside. I was not aware of the news story when it happened. It is a tragic story of a young kids involvement in gangs and a particular boy nick named Yummy, a member of the Black Disciples gang, who murdered a girl when he was 11 years old. He was on the run for some days after that. Then he called home and was considering turning himself in, when he was was picked up by some Black Disciples and murdered by his own gang members. Very scary and sad to know about. Very important message to circulate.

I'd recommend the book. Obviously not for young kids. But I would share it with Jabu age 10, with plenty of parent-kid discussion to go along.

Love, Louise

PS--- I found I couldn't stop thinking about this story as I went about my day yesterday. And not just because it was disturbing. It's a powerful important story, well told. I'm glad this book exists and I hope a lot of young people read it and take the lessons to heart.

1 comment: